Breaking News

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Blogging Tip of the Day: Vol. 20

Today's Tip: Do as I say not as I have done. I make it no secret that I am for the most part giving advice or tips based on all of my failures. Now of those failures I either learned something, corrected it and moved on, which is where the "tips" come from, or sometimes I identify a bad behavior that ruined my own brand, and I am sharing with you how I work on it. In any regard, make sure that you take time to let others learn from your failures, while at the same time understanding that people fail.

This really goes out to the "do as I say, not as I do," crowd that is quick to point out that you don't take your own advice. This isn't always the case. For example I have ten years worth of blogs in my repertoire, and if you wanted to you could take the time to go search through them and find the particular places where I have failed miserably. Anyone could take that information and assume that I am simply being a hypocrite, while others will take the time to see how I recovered from my own idiocy. The choice is up to the person reading. I have always managed to use people as a bad example, and if they turn it around to become a good example then they have far greater experience with which they speak. Always remember what you have done wrong and keep working at doing it right.

The best way to look at the whole issue is to think about a malicious hacker. The people who go out there with ill intent to make someone's life miserable in one way or another are very good at it or you wouldn't identify them as such. Now you have a business with a growing online presence and you want to hire someone to keep the malicious hacker out of their system. Some businesses will go to the clean cut kid who just graduated from Harvard or Princeton with a degree in "keeping malicious hackers out of our servers," but have never been in the business of being a malicious hacker. Other companies will go out and hire a malicious hacker to keep their systems safe. Who do you think has the greater ability to do so? Do you think the business that hires the malicious hacker spends a lot of time and resources to remind them that they used to be a malicious hacker, instead of just taking their advice, and expertise?
Post a Comment