Breaking News

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Blogging, A Gateway Drug?

Blogging is a community. As much as it may seem solitary, a lonely typist, lost, and confused, having suffered enough solitude takes a chance at being heard. And in some cases it might start that way. Sooner or later, though, if you stick with it long enough, you will find kindred spirits. And then blogging will change, and so will you.

For years I wanted to write a novel. I had the seeds, of a weedy, rambling story rolling around in my head. A beginning, a middle and an end, characters, scenes. But, putting them together was daunting, frightening. But, as my blogging circle grew, and I "met" some real authors, I learned, by reading their posts that much of writing is a nuts and bolts craft. And I wrote a novel, and it stunk!

So, I am rewriting it, with the same story, just a little more emphasis on the story, and less on the words. And, to me, it seems a lot better, though, there may be too many explosions, if that is possible.

From +Adele Archer+S. Bradley Stoner, and +Richard G. Stevens and others I learned that writing is more about telling a story, more about communicating with a reader. It is a bargain you strike with a stranger. An agreement to entertain. Not a series of typed words..

There is an art, yes. And if you read any of their blogs or books, you see that. But, more important to them is the craft of telling a good story.

So, I say to all of you, in my circle of bloggers, thank you, for reading my words over the years, and forgiving my self indulgences. You have all been family. And to those of you with an idea. Fire up your keyboard and let it roll, we are all waiting to hear it.

Until next time, don't forget to drink water, eat your vegetables, and floss. Trust me on this.


Post a Comment