Breaking News

Friday, October 21, 2016

A Blogging Tale


I can't tell you how many people have written blogs about getting rich, or popular, or even to make a difference. Hell I just crossed the eleven year mark last July, and rich hasn't been an option, popularity has been here and there, and the only difference I have made is steering other bloggers away from the blogs that talk about being rich, getting popular and making a difference. Looking back on my first blog all I wanted to do was make sure there was no open spaces on my Yahoo profile. Everything between that point and this point has either been gravy or sour grapes, but as you can all see, I am still doing it. Tenacity has made me stand the test of time for the most part, and having a lot to write about has kept the blogs on the top of a few lists.

I think any reason to write down your thoughts and experiences is a good thing. There appear to be a few people out there that agree with me, and the few that disagree with me, at least give me the occasional chuckle that they are explaining to a perfect stranger how they are wasting their time, all the while demonstrating what a waste of time looks like. Think about that for a moment. In reality the best bloggers are the people who somewhere along the line lose the need to be read, understood or even tolerated. Any time you see a blog that seems like a waste of time, you are probably missing out on some real gems. Anytime you aren't sharing your thoughts and experiences you are simply hoarding gems, and that doesn't do anyone any good, including yourself.

Blogging of course also makes a great place to escape into your own thoughts. It is a place to simply start writing and see where it goes. I can't tell you how many times I have started running away at the fingers, just to click "post" with no rhyme or reason for anything I have typed, just to have it be pretty damn popular, and heralded as a masterpiece. Most of the time I can't even see it after the third or fourth re-read, and the fifth never happens because I am sick of it, and a little shocked that others aren't. For example my biggest blog entry week in, week out is in my Tech Whacko blog and it was a very badly written review of a very cheap tablet. It has garnered a thousand hits a week for over a year now, and I still don't get it. The good news is that I started writing it, let it fly, and clicked "post" or else I would have lost thousands of hits a week for over a year.

Of course as I was forced to shut down the old blogging machine that is Jeremy for a couple of months, doing very little blogging, and watching my audience wane a bit, I didn't complain about it. The fact of the matter was when I had way too much on my mind and couldn't logically get any words out of me that made sense, I just slowed down. I didn't worry about money, or popularity, or making a difference. No I worried about other things a bit closer to home, and I got through them. I then did what I always do, and I came back to the keyboard and I started up again as I always do, and my thoughts and experience were there for me. Think about that the next time you ask yourself, "Why do I do this?" Chances are pretty good that you are doing it for the same reason I do. It's just what I do.
Post a Comment